Camden Head Pilot Station
Camden Haven Community College is the Trust Manager
for the Camden Head Pilot Station.
CHCC manages the Camden Haven Pilot Station on behalf of the Department of Lands. It is an outdoor environment with accommodation available, supported by volunteer maintenance workers. This provides a venue for programs for people with special needs where a more conventional environment may not suit, e.g. youth at risk or disengaged. The Pilot Station also runs programs to relieve financial barriers to educational experiences, for example the “Wider Horizons’ program funded by the Department of Transport supporting students on educational excursions who would otherwise miss this opportunity.
The Camden Head Pilot Station is in the Camden Haven
on the mid north coast of New South Wales, 4.5 hours drive north of Sydney.
The heritage listed property is located at Dunbogan, 6km east of Laurieton.
It occupies a magnificent Crown Land beachfront site overlooking Pilot and Wash House Beaches
and the Camden Haven River Inlet, and adjoining Kattang Nature Reserve.
The Station, in one form or another, provided navigation assistance from 1890
until its closure in 1990, then fell into disrepair.
It is heritage listed as ‘a rare surviving intact group of buildings which provides physical evidence of the living and working conditions of the pilot and boatmen’,
and was refurbished in 2001-2002 with assistance from State and Local Government.
From 2002 there have been continuous improvements, ongoing maintenance and landcare work.
It comprises a 1950s style 3 bedroom timber cottage, historic signal shed and
former boatshed, set in a bushland recreation reserve.
Today the Pilot Station has a new role, to preserve and enhance cultural and natural heritage and to contribute to community well being.
The facility hosts holiday accommodation, residencies, environmental,
educational and community events.